A number of bloggers have recently shared their experiences or the experiences other people had at a Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy (CAPS) meeting that was held in Boystown on Wednesday. I believe their accounts raise vital questions about the sort of “safety” the police officers of the 23rd district and “concerned Lakeview residents” would bring us, if they were given the opportunity to do so.
- Gender JUST youth leaders respond to increased policing and profiling, racist attacks, and harassment after recent incidents violence in Boystown/Lakeview
- Among other concerns Gender JUST writes about the racist and classist rhetoric employed by some people at the meeting. (Full disclosure: Though I did not contribute in any way to this press release, I am a member of Gender JUST.)
- How to Report an Oriental Criminal
- The Angry Asian Man writes about racist language used in a publication distributed by the Chicago Police Department at the meeting.
- White Lakeview Residents Turn Out in Droves to Claim Their Territory
- thecuntcrusader writes about her experience of the meeting, including being assaulted.